Nigeria court jails second man involved in Chibok girls kidnapping

(CNN) – A Nigerian court has jailed a second man involved in the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok town in northeast Nigeria, officials told CNN Friday.

Banzana Yusuf was sentenced to 20 years in prison by the court sitting at the Kainji military base in Niger, a central Nigerian state this week, Salihu Isah, a spokesman for the justice ministry said.

No further details were given about his involvement in the abduction.

This is the second conviction in connection to the Chibok kidnappings this year.

In February, the court imposed a second 15-year sentence on Haruna Yahaya, who was involved in the kidnapping.

Boko Haram militants seized 276 schoolgirls between the ages 16 to 18, from their boarding school in the town of Chibok, Borno State April 2014, sparking global outrage.

Eighty-two of the schoolgirls were released in a swap between the Nigerian government and the militant group last year.

But more than 100 of them remain in captivity, with their whereabouts unknown.

The militant group has kidnapped more than 1,000 children in Nigeria since 2013, according to a recent report, most recently kidnapping 110 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi in Yobe state on February 19.

More than 200 people have been convicted for their involvement with the insurgent group this year.

(0)(0)

The post Nigeria court jails second man involved in Chibok girls kidnapping appeared first on St. Lucia News Online.